Thursday, 29 March 2012

Warwick Goble


Funny how you make new discoveries and unexpectedly dip into a treasure trove.
Alphonse Mucha have since I was 14 been a huge idol of mine. I loved the way he drew hands - so fluid and elegant. He is one of the reason I kept drawing - even though I have never figured out how to pronounce that name...
Later came complete adoration for Edmund Dulac and Kay Nielsen. Arthur Rackham I had t be older to appreciate. I remember his style struck me as messy and dark when I first saw it. Now I love it.
I even had a brief fling with Klimt, although his overexposure means I can only tolerate so much at a time.

A few months ago I was looking for illustrators in this Art Nouveau Style to put on my Domino Jewellery and I came across a name I hadn't noticed before.

Warwick Goble 1862-1943
He has a beautiful fluid style. Much influenced by Japan and lovely for it. His works are just fantastic and I can't believe I didn't see before. I guess he was just never as famous and Dulac and Rackham, but he seems to have produced a fair number of books, before, as Wikipedia says, he gave up illustrating for sculling and cycling :oD Oh the shame.



1 comment:

  1. hiya, just wanted to stop by and thank you for liking my blog! It is brand new and it still makes me smile to see people liking it, hehe yours is fab too!

    Katie

    http://katie-thediaryofanaveragegirl.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete