Friday, 28 October 2011

Getting Ideas


Once a painting is finished, it's not always easy to know what to start with next.
I've noticed it's harder when I've done a painting I'm quite pleased with. If you're only as good as your last painting, maybe you need to stop with one you're happy with :oD
One helpful tool is to start a series of paintings. They don't have to be tightly related, just as long as you have some read thread to lead you to the next canvas.
I like doing thumbnails in my sketchbooks. The smaller frames are so unassuming that it is dead easy to fill them in.
On the above page I've tried to tie a picture to a short sentence. Sometimes the words came first, sometimes the picture.
I decided to try the sailor top left for my next painting. My oh-so-loose theme at the moment are portraits of mythical, fictional characters, so it fits right in. The first painting in this series was the Mermaid.

No comments:

Post a Comment